15 September 2010

Over and Over

Learning about the behaviorist learning theory brought back many elementary thru college memories. I remember the days when I invested in 3x5 index cards and studied off of flashcards. There were many nights of drilling words and numbers into my head. I have a hard time using drill and practice all the time in my classroom. I am a big believer of making connections with the students. Making connections is one part of my teaching philosophy. I want the students to have an understanding of the material and show them how they can relate to the information.

Even though my teaching philosophy contains making connections, I teach kindergarten. With 5 year olds you need a lot of drill and practice. My class thrives on routine and consistency. The computer programs the students use have games that are based on repitition. Our small group reading program also contains repitition. We do the same routine just use different letters each week. I try to find a balance when using the different theories in the classroom. I know the students need the drill and practice but I also want them to know why and how to apply the information.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This repetition is seen in audio/visual programming on Sesame Street, School House Rock, etc. How many of us can still recite how a bill becomes a law because of the song, "I'm only a bill?' I still use some of these audio/visual clips in my classroom and even on the middle school level because they work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While repetition and drill and practice are still important, I think, that behaviorist theory still implies that a positive perspective needs to be placed even on that learning. When rewarded, even with a smile and a cheer, students feel good about themselves and what they are doing. That's why we celebrate accomplishments even small, seemingly insignificant ones.
    Great Post.
    Also - to Aspirer - I mostly remember Conjunction Junction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your concern with not wanting to focus on drill and practice all the time. However, your students are at the age where they are still learning how to be students in a school. Having set routines and consistency is best for them. Having your students understand the "why" and the "how" will come in time. With your willingness to provide different theories and outlets for your students, their learning experience will be that much more enriching.
    I also was a student who used index cards for everything and couldn't tell you a single thing now about any of it. However, I use "School House Rock" with my students; the same ones I used and they are just as effective now as they were back then. I guess it all depends on how one learns and retains information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the note card days too! I also associate that memory with boredom and little retention. I would memorize facts but only long enough to take the test. The difference now a days is that along with memorizing these facts, we also make connections so that the information will be relevant for students and thus will be remembered longer. I can also understand what you mean when you discussed routines with kindergarteners. Having taught kindergarten and young fives in the past, I know the importance of a predicatble daily routine. A daily routine along with appropriate use of behavior learning theory will create a very effective classroom learning environment.

    ReplyDelete