16 October 2010

Collaboration for the Future

Working in groups is what I use in my classroom. I have learning centers in my classroom and the students work together on various activities. Collaboration is a skill that students need to be successful in the 21st century. With the social learning theory, students are engaged in constructing and conversing with others. Students learn so much from each other. One example of working together I use in my classroom, is with behavior. Each table is a family team and they work together as one. The students remind each other that they need to work together to accomplish positive incentives.

I believe using technology in kindergarten will be a teacher guided approach. It is more of an introduction to technology rather than having the students use the programs without guidance. I would like to use more Webquests and blogs in my classroom. I also want to get the parents involved where they can use technology with their child. Something small as logging into a blog or using VoiceThreads with the students. I made a section on my letter for websites parents can use with their child. Starfall.com is a great one for students to learn letters/sounds and for beginner readers.

2 comments:

  1. Being a primary teacher I agree that using technology in guided instruction is an excellent approach to having younger students learn technological skills. I think it is a step by step process as you build a foundation of understanding of using technology for learning. I also like webquests. I will do a few as a whole class activity and then have students work indepedently in groups once I feel they are able to stay focused and work collaborately through the web quest. Technology definitely enriches the lesson and results in a more meaningful learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea about using family groups. I work with middle school students and I see value in incorporating that concept with my students. I agree with you that using technology is done with guided instruction, even in middle school. Although my students have some technology background, I find I am consistently working to teach them how to use technology properly. The battle I fight the most deals with the proper use of the written language. My students are proficient in texting, and have difficulty making the change over to using language properly. So I am always working to build that foundation with them.

    ReplyDelete