27 May 2010

21st Century Skills...

I found the website www.p21.org very useful for all educators. When I entered the site I was a bit overwhelmed with all the information on the home page. I felt as if I was reading a different language. Once I went through each tab, I found the website was easy to navigate. There are many tools and resources that achieve the same goal which is to support today's 21st century student. I found the online resource Route 21 user friendly. It was easy to get a short summary on the skills and standards.

I was very amazed to see how many partnerships and sponsors are involved with P21. It is nice to see that educational companies, along with companies like Verizon, on the same page in providing support for the future of today's students.

I did not disagree with anything on the website. I would only suggest the website not have so much information on the home page. As stated earlier, it was overwhelming to see information that I was not familiar with on one page. I would recommend the website to others as a great resource to assist in teaching 21st century students.

I like that P21 includes life skills as a part of the framework. Often teachers focus on the thinking and learning skills and forget that life skills are a part of a well educated student. I think successful collaboration with others is important. I find myself focusing on collaboration and the thinking skills. I look forward to incorporating the "3Rs and 4Cs" into my teaching. I believe we all are currently doing the job, just lack resources in some areas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy, I too found the website a bit overwhelming - but looking more into it - I found we are trying to accomplish such tasks as the 3Rs and 4Cs - it's just taking a bit more time to get the 4Cs in. I really think it will be well worth it, especially in this day and age. Years ago I wouldn't have even dreamed of the collaboration skills that I am working on right at this moment and believe me I am learning so much from each of my Walden colleagues. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think back to when I was in school,I don't remember working on anything that involved collaboration until middle school, at the earliest. I find that I am using a lot more projects that involve collaboration than I did when I first started teaching 25 years ago. It is a valuable skill, even for the primary students that I work with. It is important that we in the primary grades lay the foundation of collaboration and communication skills so that when students get into the higher grades the teachers can take them even further and not have to focus on the basics.

    ReplyDelete