09 March 2011

It's GAME time....

My GAME Plan

The two NETS-T standards that I would like to build up and strengthen my confidence with are the following:

Goals:

1b) Engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.

3c) Communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.

Action Plan:

1b) I will incorporate technology into my lessons giving the students a chance to use digital tools collaboratively with guidance from the teacher because of the age level. I will show the students real-world situations and let them discover and start to become self-directed learners.

3c) I will create a class website for daily/weekly news. I will have a section on the class site for helpful websites that families can use at home. I will also create a class blog for news, as well as, current class experiences and projects. I will communicate with parents using more technology and hope they do the same. I also hope to show parents how they can help their child at home using technology.

Monitoring my Goals:

1b) I will have students draw and/or write their experiences using the digital tools in journals. For class projects, such as the life cycles of butterflies, we can collectively record our findings on our class blog.

3c) I will frequently update the class website so parents will be up to date on events. I will also frequently check the class blog for any feedback from parents.

Evaluating my Goals:

For both goals, I will keep up to date with current technology information and trainings to better integrate technology in the classroom. Also, I will have parent feedback by means of a survey. It will be in a similar manner to the “About Your Child” questionnaire I send home at the beginning of the year. I would like my kindergarten students to understand the benefits of having technology skills and create a foundation they will build upon.

Resources
Cennamo, K., Ross, J & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use: A Standards-Based Approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    With so many parents working long hours, a class website is an ideal way to keep informed about school--their child's class, and related information. I love the idea of a blog--parents can share this way and build community--ask questions--just be more a part of the school experience.
    Giving students the foundation to be self-directed with help them lifelong. Technology is a wonderful way to facilitate this--to get students to see that the internet is a giant library there for them to use when they need to know something.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan-

    Thank you for your comment. I hope to use a blog in the future for the class. I do feel it would make things easier for parents. We live in a fast paced world and I hope it would make it easier for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you are definitely staying in touch with the parents with your blog and I like the way that you are including the websites that you feel parents and students can benefit from. I have been doing this too and am really surprised and pleased when students bring in work that they did independently or show me who they have been working on a site. We have bald eagles that stay in our area for the winter and we are able to study and observe them. We use friendsofblackwater.org to observe an eagles nest - the eggs hatching, chicks growing, etc. The student report to me before I can even get the web site up what they saw happening at home after the weekend. Many are also using storybird.com and story starters from scholastic to work on their own on their writing. It really helps to strengthen the parent, child teacher connection.

    ReplyDelete