23 March 2011

Monitoring the GAME…

I feel my GAME plan is moving along in a positive direction.

1b) Engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources.

I have created a list of websites in all content areas that I can use in the classroom. I have a document camera and projector that I have hooked up to the computer. I can show the students the websites whole group and do any of the interactive activities. I also have been sharing the sites with other teachers and inviting my suitemate’s class over to show “cool” websites. The only problem is I need to make sure the site is not blocked at school so I have been checking in the morning.

3c) Communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats.

I am researching other class web pages and blogs. I am writing down ideas that I can use for the future. I want to know the better sites I can use with the limited amount of time. I am in the process of collecting surveys from parents about how often they would use a class page and/or blog.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    The survey is an excellent idea--Kari shared in her blog some surprising results regarding parents' preferences for how to receive information--how receptive they were to web-based newsletters and other information.

    It sounds like you are making a lot of progress with your GAME plan. Sharing with other teachers helps everyone build their library of useful sites.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy,

    It sounds like you are doing a great job of monitoring your plan. I understand that you teach the younger ones. What are some of the "cool" web sites you have been using? I am having trouble finding appropriate ones for my preschool students. They are all either too difficult to navigate or too difficult for some of my disabled children.

    Thanks!!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making some positive steps. It is great to share with fellp0w teacers - we can save each other a lot of time! I would like to know your "cool" websites to - I have third and fourth grade and 5 special education students for half the day. I basically have one computer in the classroom that we project on the whiteboard. Our lab is so out of date and the computers are rapidly becoming out of date, with no money t update or change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tracy,
    It sounds like you are making great progress in your GAME plan. I have also acquired a document camera this year. My problem is that I have to bring in my personal laptop to connect to the document camera, though it has still made a huge difference in sharing technology. Are there any ways to bypass blocked websites or request that certain websites are unblocked? I know in my district this is a hassle, but my husband's district has given directions for bypassing these types of blocks to teachers (with the understanding that teacher computer use is always being monitored).

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are a few websites I use. I really like stafall. I assign my lower students letter practice weekly and they love it. They recently added a new section with limited free areas. The section is made for a membership.

    www.starfall.com
    www.primarygames.com
    http://kinderwebgames.com/index.html
    www.funbrain.com
    http://www.brainpop.com

    I am not aware of a way to bypass the blocked websites. I would think with computer monitoring, it would be a hassle to show students blocked websites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the listing of sites you use with your students. Our school has a computer lab manager that has various computer programs and sites that she finds. I am sharing with her the resources that I use and would love to pass yours on as well.

    ReplyDelete